Expanded as Laser In-situ Keratomileusis, the benefits of LASIK surgery are enormous. Over the years, this treatment has become the refractive laser eye surgery of choice for millions of people. Offering multiple benefits in a single treatment, this surgery corrects common vision problems such as myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. Like any vision correction surgery, even this refractive eye surgery utilizes the reshaping of the cornea to induce vision correction. The objective is to direct the trajectory of the light passing through the eyes to focus properly on the retina – the part which is responsible for vision. There are numerous techniques to achieve this through laser eye surgery.
What are the advantages of refractive eye surgery?
- It is one treatment that has a high success rate – higher than other treatment methodologies. Close to 100% of patients experience immediate benefits and get their desired vision back.
- This treatment methodology is stitch-less and painless given that numbing drops are using during surgery.
- Vision improvements are immediate.
- There is no requirement for the patient to wear bandages.
- Patients may undertake future refractive eye surgeries if they experience age-related vision deterioration. This means that this type of refractive eye treatment does no inhibit a person’s chances of taking future eye treatments for vision improvement.
- After this eye surgery, patients can see clearly without needing glasses or contact lenses.
Are there disadvantages?
- Changes to the corneal orientation are permanent. Given that it is irreversible, it is a sensitive treatment and best done at qualified eye clinics with an excellent track record.
- LASIK is a highly technical surgery that can be performed only by qualified surgeons with hundreds of treatment experiences under their belt. So the onus rests on the patients to search for such a surgeon or an eye clinic. The common consensus is that Houston LASIK & Eye in Houston is one of the foremost eye clinics engaged in this practice with a high success rate.
What are the side effects of LASIK?
Patients experience a mild discomfort during the first two days of the surgery. But a faulty surgery at an eye clinic or surgeon with inferior expertise can cause serious side effects. A common side effect is glare or vision problems at night. Such problems can be avoided by simply visiting an eye clinic and surgeon that specializes in this type of surgery.
What is the initial preparation for a refractive eye treatment?
Patients consult a qualified eye doctor who does an initial screening and medical history check. The eyes of the patient are carefully scrutinized. The thickness of the cornea, refractive index, corneal mapping, pressure exerted by air in the eyes, and dilation index of the pupil are some of the determinants of the eye examination. If a patient wears contact lenses, they have to stop wearing those three weeks before the surgery. A patient should bring their eyeglasses so that a new prescription is made for eyeglasses. On the day of the surgery, eye makeup and hair-wear should be avoided.
Houston LASIK & Eye leads in providing premium LASIK technologies to Houston, Sugar Land, and the surrounding region. The Center’s award-winning medical director introduced revolutionary technologies such as iLASIK to the region. This technology is used by NASA astronauts, Navy SEALS, and Air Force fighter pilots. At Houston LASIK & Eye, you can now receive the same treatment. For more information, please call (281) 240-0478 or visit us at www.houston-lasik.com.
About the Author
Dr. Amjad Khokhar is Chief LASIK Surgeon at Houston LASIK & Eye. Houston LASIK & Eye is the Houston region’s leader in providing iLASIK – LASIK technology approved for Air Force fighter pilots and NASA astronauts.