Dry eye syndrome manifests itself during the cold season. Common symptoms of this eye condition are blurred vision, eye irritation, and burning sensation. That is why doctors recommend wearing sunglasses during the winter months. Generally, people wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from harsh ultraviolet rays during the summer. However, the sun’s ultraviolet rays permeate through the atmosphere even during winter months.
Dry eye is caused when the tear film of the eyes gets damaged due to cold winds. The tear film is a thin, protective liquid-based sheath on the surface of the eyes. Cold temperature causes the tear film to evaporate leaving the eyes barren and exposed to cold winds. Therefore, the conjunctiva (the white part) of the eye loses its moistness.
What are the causes of dry eye syndrome?
When the tear film loses its ability to produce tears, this medical condition can set it. Excessive tear evaporation contributes to this condition; however, it is not the same for everyone. It is generally caused due to an abnormality in the mucus and lipid producing membranes of the eye.
How to prevent dry eyes during the winter
- A simple and straightforward tip is to wear sunglasses even during the winter. If the winter is cold, dry and harsh, wear sunglasses that fit your eyes from the sides as well – similar to goggles.
- Artificial tear substitutes are available from leading eye clinics. Contact a qualified eye surgeon to get the right prescription. Use this artificial tear substitute at least four times a day to lubricate the white part of your eyes.
- Keep your indoor environment well-humidified. Use a humidifier for this purpose so that there is enough moisture inside your home. There are special moisture-trapping glasses that you can check with your eye doctor. These glasses trap the moisture of your eyes with a special chamber reserved for moisture catchment.
- Every evening, use two damp eye-cloths and place them over your eyes. This remedy relieves the symptoms of dry eyes.
- Eating plenty of fish and fish supplements helps the body retain moisture in the eyes. Drink plenty of water and keep your body hydrated always.
- For lovers of skiing, it is important to wear goggles fitted with polycarbonate lenses. This is because skiers are exposed to cold winds higher than average.
What is the medical term for dry eyes?
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS)
Take up regular eye exams from a leading eye surgeon in Houston such as Sugarland Eye & Laser Center.
Benefits of visiting an eye doctor
- An annual exam can be critical in identifying potentially disruptive eye conditions such as glaucoma for instance.
- Eye check-ups help you get the right prescription at the right times including proper visual aids.
- You may have a cataract or refractive error that needs to be resolved. Only a comprehensive eye exam yields the appropriate diagnosis for further action.
Houston LASIK & Eye leads in providing premium LASIK technologies to Houston, Sugar Land, and the surrounding region. The Center’s award-winning medical director introduced revolutionary technologies such as iLASIK to the region. This technology is used by NASA astronauts, Navy SEALS, and Air Force fighter pilots. At Houston LASIK & Eye, you can now receive the same treatment. For more information, please call (281) 240-0478 or visit us at www.houston-lasik.com.
About the Author
Dr. Amjad Khokhar is Chief LASIK Surgeon at Houston LASIK & Eye. Houston LASIK & Eye is the Houston region’s leader in providing iLASIK – LASIK technology approved for Air Force fighter pilots and NASA astronauts.