Reading Issues and Eye Surgery

As educators and the American Optometric Association reports, the foundation of reading issues stems from a combination of problems. One of the first items doctors and educators will recommend becomes a vision test. Most schools provide a school vision screening as part of the regular school calendar activities. It catches many vision issues early, but not all vision issues. Reading requires an array of skills that involve the eye, such as visual acuity, form perception, and binocular fusion. After the school vision screening and a child still has issues reading, it may become time for a full comprehensive eye examination.

What does an optometrist do?

Optometrist offers a comprehensive eye examination that diagnoses how vision skills work together as a whole. With reading being the foundation of learning necessary to graduate at all levels, it becomes critical that children and teenagers have the best vision possible. Optometrist not only prescribes glasses but vision therapies. They can recommend LASIK and PRK techniques done by ophthalmologists that specialize in pediatric procedures.

Laser eye surgery in children and teenagers

The eyes of children and teenagers have not fully developed, so any procedure involving surgery must become carefully considered as a possibility. That being said, LASIK and PRK have been performed on children with success. LASIK and PRK classify as refractive surgery. In a few cases, children can have the surgery if all other methods have failed to improve the vision. IN a condition termed refractive amblyopia or lazy eye an unequal refractive error situation sets up between the eyes. The brain does not coordinate with both eyes but favors the eye with fewer issues. Primary children’s hospitals associate with local area doctors perform photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) and Laser in-situ keratomileusis surgery on children regularly. The large children’s hospitals perform studies as well usually funded by the National Eye Institute. Patients become found through local ophthalmologists who have been contacted by parents seeking help.

The National Eye Institute performed a series of studies on teenagers with lazy eye. In the past, the belief that those with amblyopia past the age of 10 to 12 years old could not be helped with the traditional treatments. The research explored traditional therapy for lazy eye of 13-17-year-olds showed a 47 percent success rate. That leaves 53 percent of 13 to 17-year-olds with lazy eye possible candidates for LASIK or PRK procedures. Also, note that LASIK and PRK have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for anyone under 18 years of age, so the procedure is considered experimental. Many take the risk since to participate in modern society means having an ability to read.

Conclusion

Because of a long-standing philosophy of doctors not able to help patients with lazy eye after a certain age, a large group of adults with the condition exists. A variety of programs have arisen to help those adults. Any adults with the lazy eye condition in which the traditional treatment does not work should contact a clinic like Houston Lasik and explore the possibilities. A drive to Houston could improve quality of life and initiate something new in someone’s life because their vision becomes improved. Not a problem to chat with the staff and find out what new techniques could apply to their condition.

Houston Lasik leads in providing premium LASIK technologies to Houston, Sugar Land, and the surrounding region. The center’s award-winning medical director introduced revolutionary technologies such as iLASIK to the region. This technology is used by NASA astronauts, Navy SEALS and Air Force fighter pilots. At Houston Lasik, you can now receive the same treatment. For more information, please call (281) 240-0478

Via

https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/resources-for-teachers/a-look-at-reading-and-vision

https://www.texaschildrens.org/departments/ophthalmology/refractive-surgery-amblyopia

https://www.lazyeye.org/fixing_lazy_eye_child_age_years_old.html

https://www.lazyeye.org/fixing_lazy_eye_child_age_years_old.html

are you a Candindate?
find out in 30 seconds
what will it cost me?
get a binding quote now
schedule your lasik!
book for surgery online
Phone in Chat Bubble Icon
Schedule Your Virtual Appointment!
are you a Candindate?
find out in 30 seconds
what will it cost me?
get a binding quote now
schedule your lasik!
book for surgery online